The blog now stands at over 170 posts after a year of writing. Lots of advice is sprinkled throughout every post, along with my ponderings and miscellany on bike policy, infrastructure creation, and other aspects of becoming a bike-friendlier world.
This post serves as a categorized round-up of many of the posts you may find helpful if you’re thinking about bike commuting.
- Women’s Clothing for Biking that Doesn’t Look Like It’s for Biking: What to Wear, What to Wear
- Wearing Real Clothes: A Radical Political Statement
- What to Wear for Your Bike Commute? Clothes.
- Bustin’ the Style Boundaries, Believe it or Not
- Wednesday Words: Bicycle Quotations on Women, Fashion, and Emancipation
- The Skirt Scoot: A Key Maneuver
- Sure Footing: The Blogspedition Goes Shoe Shopping
- It’s Pants Week. Share My Obsession.
- The Quest for the Perfect Pants: Phase I
- The Quest for the Perfect Pair of Pants for Biking: Are We There Yet? I Need to Go.
- Pants Management 101
- Sweaty Betty: The Blogspedition Looks for Answers to that Special Glow
- It’s Snot Pretty
- Pretty Handy, Gloves. The Blogspedition Assumes You’ll Get ‘Em.
- Shoulder Season: The Blogspedition Stays Toasty
- Cutest Dress You’ll Ever Sweat In: I Heart Nuu-Muus & Ruu-Muus
- Happy Bottom: Pedal Panties Review
Riding and Mechanics
- Things I Now Do on My Bike without Having to Think about It
- How to Get a Dropped Bike Chain Back On, Grease-Free
- That Was No Accident
- Falling Down on Your Bike. It Happens. To Grown-Ups.
- Reality Check
- It’s a Wild World
- Keep your Weather Eye Open
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside
- Still Riding!
- Beautiful Fall Riding
- Solstice Post: Gifts I Give Myself by Riding in the Winter
- Winter Ride Report: Sunshine and Splatter
- Biking Commuting 101: Carrying Stuff
- The Search for the Perfect Purse: It May Just be a Bike Bag
- A Trunk for your Bike: Donkey Boxx Review
- Grocery Run: Impossible!
- Losing Weight
- How to Bike Commute: Getting the Gear Together
- Buying a Bike for Commuting: Some Questions and a Blogspedition
Getting Started as a Commuter
- On Getting from Here to There–A Betsy Post
- Becoming a Bike Commuter I: It’s Easy, One Mile at a Time
- Becoming a Bike Commuter II: A Few More Miles
- Hassle Factor: Driving vs. Biking
- Evolution, Not Revolution: All Biking Motives Welcome, Part I
- Evolution, Not Revolution: All Biking Motives Welcome, Part II
- Car, Bike, Bus: 3 Transportation Perspectives
- There and Back Again: How to Pick your Bike Commute Route
- Intro to Bike Commuting: Route Selection Part 2
- More Bike Commuting Route Selection Tips: Part 3
- Thinking like a Driver vs. Thinking like a Bicyclist
- 30 Days of Biking: Hills and Miles and Darkness, Oh My!
- How Bikes Can Save the World
- Feeling Good: Biking and Self-Image
- Why We Ride/Resolve to Ride–A Blogspedition
- Preparing to Commute by Bike: Get the Worry out of the Way
- 30 Days of Bike Commuting: You Can Do It!
- It’s All in the Attitude
- Mental Essentials for Bike Commuting: Risk and Trust
- More Mental Essentials for Bike Commuting: Friendliness and Openness
- Even More Mental Essentials for Bike Commuting: Tolerance, Humor, and Persistence
- Independence and Freedom, Courtesy of the Bicycle
- Bicycling Rites of Passage, Spokane Style
- In Which I Give Thanks for Biking
- Seeing with New Eyes
- Biking Is Good for Us: An Infographic “Duh”
- Getting Healthy: The Blogspedition Looks at Biking for Weight Loss
Rules of the Road
- Just Like Riding a Bike–Or Not: Reminders of those hand signals you learned as a kid and links to Spokane ordinances and Washington bike law
- Don’t Do This! A Post in which I Complain about People on Bikes
- Hint: It’s the First Word in the Boy Scout Law (No, Not Clean, Brave, or Reverent)
- Miss Manners Would Approve: Dealing with Drivers
- Mindful Driving, Mindful Biking, and “Accidents”–Part I
- Mindful Driving, Mindful Biking, and “Accidents”–Part II
- It Pays to Pay Attention
- Unmindful Biking by Yours Truly
Women featured in our “On a Roll with” series talk about how they ride and other posts about or by individual women riders. Be inspired!
- Angela Brown
- Rachel Scrudder
- Wilma Flanagan
- Katherine Widing
- Jamie Morgan
- Mary Verner
- Betsy Lawrence
- Fat Girl on a Bike, by Andrea Parrish
Snapshots of Riding Days and Destinations
These posts are of the “where I rode my bike today” variety to give you an idea of how easy and flexible bike transportation can be, whether it’s for the round trip to and from work or a Saturday full of errands. Many of them also tell you what I was wearing, in my ongoing mission to demystify and de-Spandex everyday biking.
- Bike to Work. Bike to Eat. Bike to Shop. Bike to Everything.
- Bikespedition #1: Carnegie Square
- SoDo Is So Terrific! Bikespedition #2 a Must-Shop (Part I)
- Bikespedition #2 Part II: Exploring SoDo Some More
- Coffeeneuring: Fueled by Caffeine
- A Training Ride–to the Fabric Store
- Spending the Day Running around Downtown: Bikespedition #4
- A Typical Week, in Outfits and Mileage
- 30 Days of Biking: Week One Report
- 30 Days of Biking: Week Two Report
- 30 Days of Biking: Week Three!
- 30 Days of Biking: Final Report
- Some topics are missing from the list. Helmets and hair, for example–an issue for many women and one I’ll tackle in a future post. What topics would you add?